Friday, March 19, 2010

Letting the body heal - patience is a virtue; being sensible is required

Well my exertion or rather over exertion two weeks ago resulted in my body demanding that I listen.
Now after multiple chiropractor, therapeutic massages and yoga classes I appear to be almost back in order. I had totally underestimated what the 31 miles would take out of me. It appears that I was cocky because I was able to handle the trail marathon without too much duress. That of course was the start of my downfall because I was not showing the distances involved the respect they deserve. I may have mentally started to leap ahead to the concept of very long mileage but the body will take it's own time in adjusting to the reality. The spirit is strong but the body is weak or rather many weeks behind is more like it. Time to get back to bascis and take more notice of the advice given in the sea of books and blogs by people with much more experience at this than me.
So the modified plan is,
Slowly build the mileage - stick to 10% a week increases or less
Do work on core body strenght - a least two work outs a week, focus on reps rather than weight
Keep up the yoga - helps with stretching muscles and cleansing out the junk from the muscles,plus it's very enjoyable in a challanging way and rewarding way.
Keep an eye on diet and proper hydration all the time. Will also allow my weight to decrease as necessary.
Reduce the social life as it is not necessary or good to go out 4 times a week, even if drinking diet coke.
Sleep more, see above. This is always a challenge, I like getting out early in the morning but delay going to bed every evening. Time to start getting a regular 8 hours plus. A long way from there right now.
Continue to have fun with this training.

Of course now with daylight savings in effect the evenings are getting long and so it will be easier to get in runs in the evening if necessary. It's tough to go back out the door when it's dark and dreay after a long day in the office.
Event for this weekend is the Georgia ING marathon on Sunday. Weather is going to be a little warmer than ideal but it still should be enjoyable. Name of the game plan is take it easy, this is just a training run with a few thousand other people. Should be fun as always.
So off I go again, new game plan to follow. Let the games begin anew.

No comments:

Post a Comment