Friday, January 8, 2010

At the starting gate

I've been talking it up for the last few months and on Sunday night I took the plunge.
On Sunday night I signed up for the Leadville 100 Race across the sky in August.

So 4am on August 20 I'll be kicking off a nice 100 mile run in the Colorado Rockies.
Now just a matter of a few months of training to take care of.
The good news is after sitting down to work out my training schedule on Wednesday night as I work backwards with a 36 week schedule I came to the discovery that I was already 8 weeks into my training. Well now that was n't too bad.

Taking on this 100 miler has been on my mind for quite a while now and despite my 2009 running plans not really working out I've decided to just push on with the 2010 plan to do the 100 miler.

Right now I working on building my base mileage and focusing on being ready for the 4th Annual Thrill In The Hills at Fort Yargo State Park Trail Marathon on February 27th.
At this point I am going to try and consider the build up races as supported training runs.
Hopefully this will work out and I won't over do it during them and not burn myself out.

I'm looking forward to a good year of self discovery as I push to get ready for August.
This chilly week in Atlanta has been a good test, had to put faith in my winter gear to push out the door at 5:30 am with the temperature around 20 F.
Happy to say that once the blood starts to flow everything warms up pretty quickly, I can even feel my pinkie fingers after about 1 1/2 miles. It's the little things.
So for now it's get the routine down and get used to running on a schedule and building up the mileage.
Here I go..

No comments:

Post a Comment